Bush Brothers Provision Company, the oldest business in Pleasant City, West Palm Beach, Florida, originally opened in 1925 as a neighborhood grocery store and meat market as Bush’s Market. It was owned by John M. and his son Harry L. Bush. The present building, located at 1931 North Dixie Highway was completed in 1931 using a foreman and day laborers from Pleasant City. John M. Bush insisted that the day labor force be changed every week to give more people the opportunity to work during the depression. When John M. died in 1947, Harry L., his wife Mary Katherine, and their two sons, John “Buck” and Leonard “Buddy” continued to operate Bush’s Market.
In 1958, Buck and Buddy realized that local grocery stores were losing market share to supermarkets and changed the business name to Bush Brothers Provision Company. They began to specialize in wholesale meats and provisions for hotels, restaurants, and country clubs. In 1970 they expanded upon the original building, doubling capacity.
In 1975, Buck’s oldest son, Harry D. Bush joined Bush Brothers. In 1978, Buddy Bush retired and Buck’s second son, John W. “Billy” Bush also joined the family business. The business continued to grow and expand under Harry and Billy, and in May of 2002, Harry and Bill acquired the former D&D Marine building adjacent to Bush Brothers, as well as two additional lots. They finished remodeling in 2005 and Bush Brothers once again doubled in size.
In 2006 Harry’s oldest son, Harry “Doug” Bush Jr., joined Bush Brothers. One year later, Billy’s oldest daughter, Jessica L. Bush, also joined the family tradition. Bush Brothers has prospered through five generations with hard work, dedication, and loyalty to their customers, and will continue doing so for many generations.